Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
Applying For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born outside of the United States, you will need to document your child’s citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. This document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a U.S. passport and entering school.
Although the application forms and final documents are the same everywhere, our embassies and consulates have different procedures to get them. Please note that you still need to acquire a birth certificate from the country of birth of your child. For example, if your child was born in Mexico, your child will need a Mexican birth certificate, as well as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).
You will use the same application form -the DS-2029 (PDF 52.3KB)- no matter where you apply for the "Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)."
To make an appointment
To apply for a CRBA at the Consulate General in Monterrey, please schedule an Internet appointment.
You will need all of the following:
- The child’s foreign birth certificate, pre-natal care and hospital documents where the child was born.
- Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Your current passport is the preferred form of proof. Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.
- Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. Your child’s birth certificate with both parents’ names on it is the best form of proof. If your child was born out of wedlock, you will need to submit proof of relationship between you and your child's mother before the child was born.
- If you are married, we need to see proof. If you have prior marriages, we need to see proof of how those marriages ended, and proof of your current marriage.
- A statement from either U.S. citizen parent and evidence that she/he lived in the U.S. long enough to transmit citizenship to her/his child. The statement you give is called an Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support (PDF 165KB).
How long is long enough? This will depend on whether the parents are married, and whether one or both is a U.S. citizen. Learn more about transmitting citizenship here.
How you prove you were physically present will depend a lot on your situation. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. Some examples of acceptable evidence include school transcripts, old passports, income tax returns, utility bills in the name of the parent, employment records, military records, and or medical records. The more you can provide, the easier it will be for the consular officer to approve the CRBA.
NOTE: The minor applying for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad should be present the day of the appointment. Please bring the original documents and a copy of each.
We charge fees for this service. The current fee is $100.
Please note that the day of your appointment you will have to go through security screening. You will find greeters and signs that will direct you to the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit screening line, and to the ACS waiting room. It is essential that you have an ACS appointment before arriving to the Consulate for a Consular service.
The American Citizen Services Unit can be reached by email at MonterreyACS@state.gov or by phone at (81) 8047-3145 on weekdays between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. with the exception of American and Mexican holidays, and on the following dates.
*Please note that electronic equipment, this includes cellular telephones, cameras (photo or video), radios, and computers, are not permitted inside the Consulate. Suitcases, food, firearms, or any liquids including gel disinfectants are also not permitted.
American Citizen Services
- Appointments for Passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad and Notarial Services can be made at the Internet appointment System.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.