Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)


If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent  of a child born outside of the United States, you will need to document your child's U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).


Step 1: Complete CRBA application form DS-2029 (PDF 344.8KB).  Do not leave any items blank.  For any question that does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable).  Click to view a sample completed DS-2029 (PDF 1.4MB) and a guide of DS-2029 questions translated into Spanish (PDF 1.25MB).

Name of child: Some parents prefer the name to appear on U.S. documents using the naming convention of only the paternal last name.  For instance, the child’s name on Mexican documents is listed as Mary Jane REED SMITH, but U.S. documents may only show Mary Jane REED (without the second/maternal last name of SMITH).  If you would like your child’s name on the U.S. documents to be different from your child’s name in Mexico, please complete form DS-60 Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name (PDF 504.3KB). Please note that only reasonable name change requests will be considered.

Step 2: Complete passport application form DS-11.  Do not leave any items blank.  For any question that does not apply, mark “N/A” (not applicable).  Click to view a sample completed DS-11 (PDF 645KB).  We encourage you to apply for a CRBA and passport at the same time.  Because all fees are non-refundable, we recommend that you initially pay only for the CRBA application at our office cashier.  Once approved, you will have the option of returning to the cashier to pay for the passport application.  Click for minor passport application information.  

Step 3: Gather documents, make photocopies.  On the day of your appointment, you must present an original and one photocopy of all pages for each of the following:

  • Child’s original Mexican birth certificate issued by the civil registry.  You should request the “book true copy” (“copia fiel del libro”) (PDF 300KB) version.  We do not accept short-form/extract versions (“extractos”) nor “interesado” copies. 
  • Copy of the Mexican Secretary of Health birth certificate (PDF 271KB) (often called hospital birth certificate, “certificado de alumbramiento,” or “nacido vivo”).  This document is given to the mother in the hospital soon after the child’s birth, and contains the baby’s footprint and mother’s fingerprint. If you handed the original document into the Mexican civil registry without keeping a copy, you may request a true copy from the civil registry’s files.
  • Proof of citizenship for the U.S. citizen parent(s), such as an original U.S. birth certificate, passport, CRBA, naturalization certificate, or certificate of citizenship.
  • Proof of identity for each parent, such as valid original passport, government-issued driver license, state ID, or voter registration card (PDF 65.1KB). 
  • If the child is already of school age, proof of identity such as his/her Mexican school certificate(s) (PDF 129KB).
  • Pregnancy and birth records: dated ultrasounds containing name of mother (PDF 137KB), laboratory test results, doctor/ultrasound/hospital receipts, pictures of the mother pregnant, pictures of mother and baby immediately following the birth and during the hospital stay.  Baby and mother’s hospital identification bracelets, crib card, discharge orders, paid hospital bill.
  • Marriage/Divorce Certificate(s):  If parents are married, provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate and any prior divorce decrees.
  • Proof of relationship between parents:  For example, time-stamped photos of the couple together before, during, and after the pregnancy, photos of the U.S. citizen parent with the newborn baby, Western Union money transfer receipts, birthday cards, email printouts, lease agreements, bank statements, home utility bills, or IRS tax declaration documents showing shared address, etc.  Proof the couple was together at time of conception, i.e. passport with entry and exit stamps, Mexican or U.S. temporary or legal residency documents, etc.
  • Proof of physical presence in the United States:  Documents showing when the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States, regardless of immigration status.  Valid time includes when undocumented, as a Legal Permanent Resident, or U.S. citizen.  All physical presence must have occurred prior to the birth of the child.  Examples of documents to bring include vaccination records, baptismal certificate, military discharge papers, elementary and middle school report cards, high school and college transcripts and diplomas, W2s (from employment held while in the United States), Social Security statement, etc. 
  • If the child was conceived via assisted reproductive technology (ART)/surrogate, please read for additional important information.  You must present all documents related to the child’s conception and birth, and we strongly recommend you set up DNA testing ahead of time.  You may request the Consulate to schedule your CRBA appointment in the morning and DNA sample collection same-day in the afternoon.
  • Prepare application fee of $100 USD.  If you also wish to apply for a passport, the fee is $105 USD ($205 USD total).  We accept U.S. dollars, Mexican pesos, or major credit cards.  You will pay at the Consulate on the day of appointment.  The fees are non-refundable.
  • Documents in addition to those listed herein may be requested following interview with a consular officer.

Step 4: Make an appointment:  Appointments are scheduled through our Internet Appointment System. If applying for a CRBA and passport for more than one child, make an appointment for each.  Review the list of permitted and prohibited items before coming to the Consulate.

Step 5: Appear at the Consulate for appointment:  Both parents and the child must personally appear.  First, you will pass through airport-style security screening.  Next, you will pay the CRBA application fee at the cashier window. Then, you will present your documents at a reception window. Finally, you will have an interview with an American consular officer.

Tips for your appointment:

  • Proving maternity/paternity and physical presence to transmit citizenship to a child is the responsibility of the parent(s), not the Consulate.
  • Never assume that, because you successfully applied for another child’s U.S. citizenship, you do not need to bring any evidence to interviews for subsequent children.  You must bring all supporting documents with you for each application.
  • In some cases, consular officers may request DNA evidence to prove the biological relationship.  If DNA evidence is requested, you will be given written instructions.  You must follow Consulate’s procedures, including that the DNA sample collection is witnessed by an American Consulate staff member and use of an AABB accredited laboratory.
  • You must bring hard-copy printouts of all documents, photos, ultrasounds, etc.  No digital media will be accepted.  We are not able to access the internet on your behalf to view evidence and documents associated with your application, and are prohibited from inserting USBs, DVDs, etc. into our computer terminals.

If approved, the consular officer will give you the option to return to the cashier and pay for the passport application.  You will pay a nominal additional fee at a nearby Aeroflash office at the state where you reside (except for applicants who live in Nuevo Leon, who will pick the document(s) at the Consulate), and will receive the CRBA and passport, at an address you choose or by picking up at the Aeroflash office, approximately three weeks after your interview date.

We strongly recommend you apply for the child’s Social Security number once you receive the CRBA and U.S. passport.  You must complete the SS-5 application form, and check for application procedures.

More Information:  Please watch an instructional video on applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.  While this video was prepared by U.S. Consulate General Guadalajara, it reflects general application procedures throughout our offices in Mexico.  The video is currently in Spanish only.  You may also visit the Department of State’s website.

Options for Parent Not Able to Transmit U.S. Citizenship to Child

A consular officer will inform you, verbally and in writing, of the decision regarding your child’s application.  If a parent has not accrued sufficient physical presence in the U.S. to transmit his/her U.S. citizenship to the child, the child will be denied a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.  Options to still obtain U.S. citizenship for the child then include:

  • The U.S. citizen parent may file an immigrant visa petition for the child (IR2, biological child of a U.S. citizen). If the child is approved an immigrant visa and enters the U.S. on this visa before turning 18 years old, he/she will automatically become a U.S. citizen upon fulfillment of certain requirements (under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000). For more information please visit the U.S. Consulate General Ciudad Juarez website and the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.    
  • Under certain circumstances U.S. citizen grandparents of the child may add their time in the United States to the time of the U.S. citizen biological parent so the child may naturalize. This is under Section 322 of the Immigration and Naturalization Act and is adjudicated by a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office in the United States. For more information on this procedure please visit the USCIS website and the N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate Under Section 322.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.